Each of our product reviews is championing a woman who is expert or seen to be disrupting her industry.
The New Forest Aromatics range is perfect for someone who wants to get back to nature, as well as looking to indulge in relaxing aromas to relieve the stresses of daily life. With no animal testing, no Parabens, no GMOs (genetically modified organisms) but using instead ingredients that don’t break the bank, it’s a win-win for both you and the environment. The result is products that smell great and cause the least possible amount of harm to the environment. With as many ingredients as possible being sourced from the New Forest, you are immersed in some simply stunning scents (which I didn’t expect I would like at first but was pleasantly surprised). I spent my childhood horse-riding with my sister across the New Forest (a stunning national park, with so much natural beauty) and therefore had a particular interest in these products, especially as Debbie the creator draws her inspiration directly from it.
Hand & Body Lotion: I have tried countless body and hand lotions over the years including Dove, Nivea, Bodyshop… The list goes on and I can say with confidence that this lotion stands out against the rest. The hand & body lotion presented 3 scents: Mint, Lime & Lemongrass. At a first glance I was not convinced I would like these combinations, but I could not have been more wrong. The pure English ‘Black Mitcham’, a locally grown mint, is miles apart from the harsh-smelling cheap imports from China and India which are commonly found in mass market products. Debbie avoids using SLS (surfactant used in many cleansing products) and insists on more natural alternatives, which are better on the skin (e.g. surfactants derived from coconut and sunflower).
- The first measure of a good lotion for me is how easily it is absorbed into the skin. This product did not disappoint, my skin absorbed it instantly like it was desperate for its natural goodness. I can’t stand moisturisers that you have to rub frantically into your skin in order to make the lotion disappear.
- The second measure is the quality of the smell, it must be the perfect balance. It cannot be too overpowering nor can the scent vanish within 5 minutes after application. This lotion illustrated the perfect balance with its subtle, natural aroma which left me feeling relaxed not just on application but for the rest of the evening.
- The third measure is whether the lotion leaves grease, this lotion left no trace of grease, no sticky feeling at all which is a big thumbs up.
- The fourth and final measure is how well the lotion appears to revive my dry skin particularly on my hands in between my fingers which gets dry throughout the seasons. Once again this lotion performed and instantly made my hands look and feel better.
Something I didn’t expect: Just how good the combination of the scents Mint, Lime & Lemongrass could be. I was applying this lotion on my upper body at night just so I could drift off with the fragrance, it had a real calming effect on me after a long day at work.
Something to bear in mind: The lemon & lime scent is relatively powerful and this may not be to everyone’s taste, if you have a particular dislike to lime for instance. Equally, keep in mind that I have smelt various lemon and lime products from the high street shops and they do not compare to this scent, so you may be as surprised as I was.
Price: £14.50 for 210ml
Warm Hug Foam: As a fan of a good bath I was excited to try the ‘Warm Hug’ product. I have at least 2 baths a week so having a good soak is an essential part of my routine. Once again the combination of scents did not strike me as something that I could imagine working together. Once I got into my steamy bath, it was an explosion of senses. The scents of Lemon Myrtle, Ginger, Grapefruit and Cardamom created the best bubble bath I have experienced yet. It is simply not realistic for me to buy every product I review after my free testers are complete, but this one will be an exception – it was that good.
- The first measure of a good bath foam for me has got to be the smell, the scent it gives off has got to create an overall feeling of relaxation, a sense of unwinding and feeling good. This bath foam got top marks and did beat any competition out there which I have tried to date.
- The feeling of my skin after the bath is complete is the second measure in which I base my opinion. My skin felt soft, smooth and was not irritated which is not something I can always come to expect with other bath products with my sensitive skin.
Something I didn’t expect: The combination of scents Debbie has created with this bath foam is simply genius: most people would turn up their nose to the sound of grapefruit mixed with ginger but the realisation is a pleasant surprise for the senses. There is no other way to describe it other than you really feel like you are in a bath of natural goodness.
Something to bear in mind: If you are looking for lots of bubbles in your bath, this may not be the product for you as it did not create as many bubbles as your standard Radox or Johnsons products. I personally do not like much foam in my bath, less is more and therefore this was perfect for me.
Price: £18.00 for 160ml
Peppermint Foot Balm: The foot balm is not a product I can compare to other foot balms in the market, simply because I have never felt the need to invest in such a product. When you are regularly purchasing cleansers, moisturisers, hair products, toners, lotions… you have to draw a line somewhere, and mine happened to be at the feet. Warning: once you have tried this product, it is highly likely that it will become part of your beauty routine and you will have to draw the line elsewhere 🙂 This balm is a simply beautiful product. Our hard-working feet deserve great foot care and this balm is the perfect place to start.
- The feeling of this balm is my favourite element of this product, the balm is really smooth to rub into the skin, there is a really great feel to it when working it into the heels of your feet.
- The peppermint smell is something that both women and men will enjoy equally, it is a little addictive and I admit I was sniffing the pot on occasions.
- Your feet feel soft, revived after application and made me realise that you just cannot neglect your feet (as I had previously done) as part of your beauty routine.
Something I didn’t expect: When I have previously used peppermint products (whether it be from Tesco, a boutique shop in London or online), I have always found the fragrance a little off-putting. Put all your preconceptions of a peppermint scent aside as this is different, it is subtle, natural and slightly addictive.
Something to bear in mind: This is a great product for men, the smell will tick the box for them for sure. My husband tried it a number of times and really enjoyed using it.
Price: £7.50 for 100ml
English Flowers Candles: I am one of those people who are really easy to buy gifts for as I adore candles. I regularly burn every kind of scented candle from the mass retailer products to the expensive boutique versions from London. My experience with the New Forest Aromatics candles brought me to the realisation and understanding of what a real candle should smell and burn like. Many of the previous candles I had tried before this one burnt black smoke, flickered when burning and sometimes gave me a headache. Debbie’s candles are natural, made with non GM sustainable soya wax, cotton wicks (not lead) and scented with natural essential oils. After this review and my research into the candle industry I realised that as consumers we should not only check our food labels but our candle labels as well.
According to a report published by the EPA, paraffin wax candles release small amounts of chemical compounds when burnt which can be harmful. The New Forest Aromatics candles are not paraffin-based, which means that when you burn them in the house they will not be releasing petro-chemicals into the air which are easily inhaled and can deeply penetrate the lungs.
I could instantly tell there was a difference with these candles:
- The flame was stable and consistent for hours
- The scent was not overpowering but rather subtle
- I had no sign of a headache after hours of burning it in the house
- I did not witness any black smoke
Something I didn’t expect: I did not expect to witness such a difference in how the candle burned compared to the other candles in my house. The flame remained a consistent size for hours, there was no sign of black smoke and it made it really pleasant to be around. When I usually burn a candle in the lounge for the duration of a film I get a headache from the fragrance by the end, I did not experience that with these candles.
Something to consider: Do not expect the room to smell particularly strong of the scent after burning these candles, unlike some other candles. The scent these candles give off is far more subtle, delicate and elegant.
Price: £6.00 (burn time 12 hours)
The Woman Behind The Products
Debbie founded New Forest Aromatics in 2011 and is involved in every step of the product creation and the quality of the products reflect this attention to detail. With over 20 years of experience as an aromatherapist and a trained natural perfumer, she is an expert in her field. She has an immense passion for creating products with natural scents that have a positive effect on both the well-being of the consumer and the environment.
She is not only adding value by creating this beautiful collection but in other aspects of the industry as well. Pavilions Himalaya approached her to design their signature range of products for their eco resort, set within the organic farm in the foothills of the Himalayas. The brief was to source and design high quality, totally natural, biodegradable toiletries for their guest rooms and the hotel spa that could, if at all possible, come from ingredients grown in Nepal and be manufactured locally. Debbie worked to create a scent that encapsulated the essence of Nepal, the world famous Himalaya Mountains, the lush green countryside, the spicy aromatic aromas of the food and the tropical lower country.
“The beautiful New Forest and the surrounding coastline continually inspires me, out walking the dog, riding my bike or travelling around to meetings and deliveries. This inspiration translates into new scents and products that I make.”
Disclaimer: We received this product free of charge in exchange for an honest review of it, all opinions are truthful and are 100% our own. We do not receive any commissions or fees from the links in this post. We enjoy being able to share our opinions and experiences with these products to help other consumers in making informed purchasing decisions. We only do product reviews for companies which are working towards more environmentally friendly products. We are the legal copyright holder of all material on the blog, others cannot use it to publish online without our written consent. We are not providing medical or other professional advice as part of our reviews.
Written by Rebecca Gache-Ford.
Please take note of Fanny Pack’s Comments Policy before commenting on this article.